How to Choose A Portable Car Jump Starter
In this day and age, portability is key. Gadgets become smaller and smaller so they will not take so much space and they are not difficult to transport. This goes the same to car jump starters. You want something you can stash in your car without being too bulky and during emergencies, it can also serve another purpose — that being a battery charger for your other devices.
The popularity of portable car jump starters are eminent with the number of brands selling them. Each one has a number of features to entice the buyer to choose their product over the other. But before we go into that, let me first give you some tips on what to look for when choosing a portable car jump starter.
Important Tips to Remember
So you are thinking of finally getting a portable car jump starter but do not know where to start. These tips will hopefully help you find the best one.
- Choose a car jump starter that is easy to use. You do not want a car jump starter that you still need to figure out how to use especially when you are in an emergency situation.
- Consider the battery power. What is the necessary power supply for your needs? Are you using it to charge your car battery? Then it is important for you to consider how much power it needs to start the battery. Choose one with a battery power of at least 1200 and above peak amps and cranking power of 225 or more.
- Check out the weight. It is portable alright but you want something lightweight and easy to carry in case no one is around to help you when you need to use it.
- Does it have the ability to revive dead batteries? Not all portable jump starters have this feature and those which have will cost you more. If you have the budget, choose one that also has this feature. It could be a lifesaver.
- Choose a jump starter with safety measures. The last thing you want is to get in an accident when using the jump starter.
- Does it come with a warranty? They all do but you have to check the scope and the duration as well. There are those offering 2 years instead of one but you need to know if this covers replacement of the entire unit or just the parts.
- Choose one with insulated clamps. This can be part of the safety measures but it is best to highlight this as I feel this is important. Insulated heavy-duty clamps will keep you from getting shocked while supplying power, Best for unfavorable weather conditions.
- Does it come with other features? You want a jump starter that can serve other purpose like power outlets to charge your devices. Do you want one that can also act as an air compressor? Or one with lights and radio? Your choice will be based on your preference of course. Bear in mind that additional features may cost higher.
The best brands and models
Now that you know how to choose a jump starter, let me give you some idea on which brands/models are performing better than the others.
One of the leading top ten car jump starters in the market today, the Schumacher PSJ2212 will leave you no room for disappointment. It has up to 2200 peak amps and 330 cranking amps to power up your car battery. It also serves as a power source for any 12 Volt plug accessories. Customers are raving about the Schumacher PSJ2212 in Amazon, so I am not surprised why it is rated with 4.5 out of 5 stars. In terms of cost, this is around $140-$150. Not bad for a high-powered portable jump starter.
If you want one that is heavy-duty and reliable like the Jump-N-Carry JNC950. Clore Automotive has been one of the leading manufacturers of car jump starters in the world. With their reputation, you can only expect high-performing products. The JNC950 is the largest 12 Volt unit from Clore. What is noteworthy in this powerful device is its ability to provide continuous charging of up to 24 hours.
This also has 4.5 out of 5 stars in Amazon so you know that those who bought this item are satisfied customers. This is more expensive than the Schumacher PSJ2212 at almost $300. The thing about expensive boosters is that they give more reliability especially in cold weather. They can also charge longer compared to other jump starters. If budget is not a concern, get this unit already, promise you will not regret it.
Another notable jump car starter from Clore Automatic is the Jump-N-Carry JNC660. This is less expensive than the JNC950 at only $130 but it is still powerful. With up to 1700 peak amps and 425 cranking amps, the JNC660 can power up big engines in SUVs and trucks. It does not have a lot of features but do not get fooled by its simplicity. It has everything you need for a powerful car jump starter. Its 46″ cable reach is ideal to reach the starting points of most vehicles and it boasts unrivaled power and durability. Thousands of customers have already expressed their satisfaction in using the Jump-N-Carry JNC660. Why not try it out yourself?
Choosing a car jump starter need not be a grueling task. You just need to remember the few tips I gave you and you are all set. I’ve included a list of recommended battery boosters below:
The highest rated jump starters
|Name / Image||Learn More||Brand||Rating||Peak Amp||For|
Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 1800-4400 Peak Amps Jump Starter
|Get the best pricefull review||Schumacher||1800-4400||Any car, truck or MC|
Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter
|Get the best pricefull review||Clore Automotive||1700||Regular cars/SUVs|
Jump-N-Carry JNC300XL 900 Peak Amp Ultraportable 12V Jump Starter with Light
|Get the best pricefull review||Clore Automotive||900||Smaller/regular cars|
PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter
|Get the best pricefull review||PowerAll||N/A||Small engines/Boats|
Jump-N-Carry JNC950 2000 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter
|Get the best pricefull review||Clore Automotive||2000||Trucks, Diesel and Large Trucks|
Categorised in: General